- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 2 cups chopped yellow squash
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cups flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk (I used 2%)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 8-10 lasagna noodles, cooked
- After chopping all the veggies, heat a small drizzle of olive oil in the pan and add the onion. Once they start turning a bit translucent add the garlic for about 3-4 minutes.
- Scoop these into a bowl and set aside. Then add the squash and zucchini to the pan until they start to soften and barely brown.
- Scoop these out into the bowl with onion and garlic and throw in your carrots. Once they start to soften add the broccoli as well.
- Once these are soft but still have a slight bite to them, add these to the bowl with the other veggies, salt, and mix together. Then set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat combine the flour with the milk, whisking constantly until you get a small boil (really just a few large bubbles) and the mixture gets thick. Once it does take it off the heat and add 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Once that's smooth stir in the spinach.
- Now for your last step before assembling, in a separate bowl combine the cottage cheese with 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese and stir well.
- Coat the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish begin with 1/2 cup of the spinach sauce. This is will just barely coat the dish and that's exactly what we want (and it keeps us from having to grease it!)
- Arrange a layer of noodles on top of that.
- Top this with half of the cottage cheese mixture.
- Then half of the veggie mixture.
- Then repeat all the layers again, ending with noodles. Top it off with remaining spinach mixture over noodles and parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake this in a 375 degree oven covered for 20 minutes, then uncovered for another 20 minutes or until the top is nice and golden brown.